The WalkAide® II FES Lower Limb Device
The WalkAide® II is an advanced functional electrical stimulation (FES) system for the treatment of drop foot. Designed to improve walking for individuals with the inability to safely and effectively clear their toes from the ground, the WalkAide® II uses FES to assist healthy nerves and muscles.
How does it work?
While wearing the WalkAide® II on the lower leg, an internal sensor identifies the leg motion and speed as the person takes just a few steps. Smart Technology uses that information to create a customised walking program. With each subsequent step, the WalkAide® II sends gentle, electrical impulses to nerves in the leg that tell the muscles to lift the toes. Stimulation timing adjusts to accommodate changes in walking speed, ensuring appropriate stimulation with every step. Walking and training program adjustments can be made by the user to promote optimal results.
Features & Benefits
- Design is slim and self-contained
- Electrodes don’t need replacement
- Device plugs in for charging
- Fits under tight clothing
- Footwear doesn’t need to change
- Barefoot walking is possible
- Smartphone app controls adjustments
- Activity mode options include Gait mode and Training mode
- App tracks number of steps walked
- Water resistant against short splash duration
- Additional benefits of FES may include increased range of motion, decreased spasticity, enhanced strength and endurance, increased gait speed and improved quality of life.1
1. Damiano DL, et al. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2013; 27(3):2000-2007; Downing A, et al. Int J MS Care 2014;16:146–152; El-Shamy SM, et al. AM J Phys Med Reahbil 2016 Sep; 95(9):629-63; Miller L, et al. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017 Jul; 98(7):1435-1452; Prosser LA, et al. Dev Med Child Neurol 2012; 54(11):1044-1049; Stein RB, et al. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2006; 20(3):371-379; Stein RB, et al. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2010; 24(2):152-167; Street T, et al. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine 2017; 41:3, 361-366.
The Walkaide® II is programmed by your physician through an application on tablet or smart phone. The program will be customised to suit your level of activity and comfort. The device settings can be adjusted directly through the app.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
- Familial/Hereditary Spastic Paresis